Chair of Board of Trustees
Our Helpline volunteers are an integral and valuable part of SDAC. We offer a good support network and on going training program to develop skills on the Helpline. We positively encourage volunteers from a diversity of backgrounds.
An initial Induction Training programme over a 5 week period will be undertaken prior to working on the Helpline. Mandatory continued professional training, provided by SDAC, will be undertaken twice a year.
We ask for a minimum commitment of 18 months following training and for one 5 hour shift to be taken every week, where possible, or fortnight.
Skills and requirements of the Helpline Volunteer
- Ability to relate with empathy
- Ability to handle complex calls robustly
- Good listening skills
- Good communication skills
- Good team player
- A calm patient and professional manner
- Ability to work alone from home in a quiet space
- Basic IT skills – able to send and receive email and research the internet
- Understand the importance of confidentiality
- Understand the importance of maintaining personal and professional boundaries